TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:25:19 +0000
Phil

Pin soldering with solder washers is classic application, dating back to
wire wrap mother boards, when pin had to be solder free for wrap. Most
preform suppliers will have them on open tooling no problem.
For low volumes you just make an ally block drilled with rebated holes
corresponding to pin positions. Brush the washers across it so one sits in
every position, drop the board onto it and turn over. The washers drop into
place down each pin onto PCB. The rebate is washer diameter and thick
allowing for p/m on dimensions so the top of washer is flush with block.
Attached your copy this mail is a sketch, that and a slightly more
sophisticated version.
Then you can whack them with a laser, hot air gun, VPR, reflow as normal or
whatever takes your fancy.
Mike.