TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 07:36:17 -0600
Hi Keith - two primary parameters when you are looking to use an inert
soldering environment; what is your process volume demands and what purity
to ya need. The use of nitrogen for the selective soldering process is
typically to prevent the oxidation of the flow nozzles so you can maintain
a very uniform and consistent solder flow. Most machines are "wide open"
so you don't create a full blanket effect at the nozzle like you would
with a wave solder or reflow oven. The lack of a smothering blanket means
having super pure nitrogen isn't necessary. There have been some good
details suggested TechNet already (i.e. dewars vs on site generation) so
look at your process and make some calculations. We are running 5
selective solder machines  with a variety of nitrogen sources. A couple of
systems use on site generation as there is no need for high purity, they
have flow rates and limited low nitrogen supply access. A couple of
systems are low volume so they just use dewars and a couple of systems are
able to hook into the cryo line (we use LN2 for other processes so we have
a couple locations with huge cryo tanks)  so they have the best of all
worlds with high volume and high purity (note the high purity isn't
necessary). Hope this helps and good luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins