TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:03:40 +0000
You have several options. Three I can think of are:

1. Purchase your nitrogen in smaller tanks (they come in about a 100 lb tank, I think). The drawback to this is safety violations in handling the tanks. While nitrogen is inert, pressurized nitrogen tanks are strictly controlled by the local OSHA gentlemen. They must be handled with a special dolly made just for tanks, strapped to the wall securely, etc. I once saw a forklift driver break off the shutoff valve on a tank that was loosely chained to a cement block wall. The force of the escaping gas drove the tank downward at a slight angle, allowing it to blast out from under the chain, and it then blew through the ceiling on the other side of the factory, accelerated through the air about 2 blocks, and came back down inside another cement-block building and blew through the concrete floor of that building. When it hit the other building, they say it went off like a bomb.

2. Purchase a nitrogen generator. They don't take up too much space, but being able to produce your own nitrogen is a big cost savings after the initial investment.

3. Set up a nitrogen storage facility onsite (typically outside the manufacturing plant). While this is a much more costly option up front, it may be the best option if you are using larger volumes of nitrogen.

Not sure about the purity level.