TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:09:14 +0200
Joyce

100% agree: your statement should go into the Bible as the 11th Commandment!

Let me recount two anecdotes, coincidentally both regarding Kovar leads.
One place I visited used a commercial ZnCl2/HCl flux for tinning them,
followed by a thorough three-phase wash/DI rinse process. I tested their
components, very low ionics on them and AFAIK no customer complaints re
corrosion. The second one was a company making DIL components with a
Kovar lead frame. At the end of the line, they placed the components
into a titanium sheet which was perforated with holes at 0.1" pitch, I
guess about 500/sheet. This sheet was then passed through a conventional
wave soldering machine using a well-known W/S flux which was bright pink
(need I say more?) and then directly hot air blasted and (hopefully)
water washed. The problem was that water barely flowed through the holes
in the titanium sheet (from memory about 1.5 mm thick) and flux residues
remained on the shoulders of the leads. If you happen to have a copy of
my book, see Fig. 8.1 (a) for the results.

Therefore Commandment #12: Thou shalt thoroughly deflux all components
after hot tinning, applying solder balls etc.

Brian