TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
"jrusseau.precisionanalysts.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, jrusseau.precisionanalysts.com
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:53:15 -0500
Hello Phil,

I will chime in a little on this topic because I truly believe component
cleanliness is an area that needs some exploration.  I as the vice-chair of
IPC's Ionic Conductivity task group have been pushing for a method
specifically dealing with components.  I will say that we are in the process
of addressing this issue.  What I can't say is what the acceptable limits
for components might be.  This is an area with little information available.
However, the only specification that I am aware of regarding component
cleanliness testing tied to solder dipping of components leads is the
GEIA-STD-006.  The version I have has criteria defined based on the ROSE
test methodology and virtually the same pass/fail criteria as defined in
J-STD-001 for assemblies.  Now, I am not involved with the GEIA group effort
and I don't know if a newer version exists with better criteria.  However,
IMHO the criteria that the GEIA document defines is meaningless, especially
if you are using a "no clean" flux.

Best regards,

Joe Russeau