DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ben Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:02:10 -0800
Thanks Rainer,

This is really well summarized piece of research confirmation you have
done.

I think that the reason there's confusion is that the original and only
purpose for a differential transmission line was to create a balanced line
for noise immunity. In analog systems (such as public address audio, or
POTS) using balanced lines is critical for moving sensitive low-voltage
signals through harsh environments without losing information or
significant quality.

Differential signals on a PCB also are differential for noise immunity. The
odd part about this is that the transmitters and receiver circuits do not
terminate the signals the same way as an audio microphone input on a mixing
console (ie. with a transformer), but rather by high-impedance inputs to
logic comparators. Therefore it's not so much a true balanced line but
rather two single-ended lines which are routed side-by-side so that common
mode noise can be easily ignored.

Would you agree also that for EMC purposes differential signals should be
routed as pairs coupled together? Intuitively to me it seems that two equal
and opposite signals traversing the board in far-apart locations will emit
more noise than if they are tightly coupled. Along the same lines - ground
return paths should also be uninterrupted.

Regards,
Ben.

--
*Benjamin W. D. Jordan*
BEng Hon. I (CompSys)
Sr. Manager,
Content Marketing Strategy
------------------------------
*Altium Inc.*
2175 Salk Avenue, Suite 200
Carlsbad CA 92008 USA
Mob: +1-760-212-6720
Tel: +1-760-231-0675
Fax: +1-760-231-0761
*www.altium.com <http://www.altium.com/>*
This email message, including any attached files, is confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it has been
addressed. Altium prohibits the right to publish, copy, distribute or
disclose any information contained in this email, or its attachments, by
any party other than the intended recipient. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system.