TECHNET Archives

January 2014

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2014 14:08:38 -0500
Normally, when dicing die, PWB's, and such, we would use a [warm] water
soluble wax to bond the board to a sacrificial glass plate.  The
alternative, cleaner, approach is to use conventional dicing [eg - Nitto]
tapes, if the board topography allows.  The dicing operation is performed
using water for cooling and lubrication of the blade, as well as debris
removal.

If the water is ultra-pure, this leads to aluminum bonding pad corrosion [on
IC's], so it is doped a bit to make it slightly conductive.

The actual dicing operation itself would appear to be quite ESD-benign.
Those operations leading up to, or after should be carefully looked at as
well.

I wonder it an eximer or UV laser was used for the singulation?

Steve C