TECHNET Archives

January 2014

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:15:52 -0600
Hi Victor - there has been some very good industry investigations that
show shrinkage voids do not cause solder joint integrity issues - the NASA
DoD Phase I/II data and a paper at APEX by Jasbir Bath come to mind
(sorry, I am on travel so I don't have access to my database to send you
those links). Shrinkage voids are typically found on the solder
destination side of wave solder pwas. The big debate on shrinkage voids
has been how to handle them from an inspection standpoint. We know that
they don't cause a problem but they look like a solder joint crack during
inspection. Some folks have put together some elaborate inspection
criteria and others have just had the shrinkage void touched up. The good
thing is that under most (not all) conditions, the shrinkage voids are not
visible under the allowed magnification inspection criteria so inspectors
don't "see" them. Richard post a good discussion on the dangers of using
too much magnification and this is one phenomenon that benefits from that
information. Note that there is ALWAYs a product use environment that can
cause a problem but the general consensus from the industry has been no
issues.  Hope this helps.

Dave