TECHNET Archives

January 2014

From:
John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:42:18 -0800
I have been involved in wire bonding since early 1973 and have put COB into production in the early 80’s. It is not easy and as mentioned earlier beginners luck will get you into trouble. There are several pitfalls;
1) Solder paste sizzle or splatter will ruin WB pads regardless on PCB finish and WB type, process and material control is absolute
2) ENIG works really well for Al bonds
4) Au bonds require thicker gold and that means selectively plated boards, like ENIG wit electrolytic or electroless Au after Immersion Gold
5) ENEPIG works well with Au WB but all finishes will change WB characteristics after exposure to reflow
6) Take care with reflow after WB and encapsulation it is better to perform SMT prior to COB operations.
7) Cleaning is critical for good WB pull strength (this is where Murphy steps in)
8) You will need plasma cleaning prior to WB and encapsulation, too clean and epoxy will run where you do not want it to go (another place for Murphy to surprise you)
9) Hire a few experts who know what they are doing or you will not be happy with the results in normal operations

I am still involved in wire bonding to polymer substrates today.

Regards,

John Maxwell