TECHNET Archives

January 2014

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:39:06 +0000
Jack-

Wirebonding is micro-welding at comparatively very low temperatures.  Only works reliably if the surfaces are perfect--clean and the right metallurgy.  Getting the right PCB finish can be a nightmare:  For wirebonding, most prefer >25 microinches soft electrolytic ultra-pure gold over >150 microinches nickel (electroless or electrolytic, but virtually all shops use electroless).  And the surface has to be pretty smooth, but this is a lesser effect.  With gold that thick, parts like QFNs can become problems (due to joint embrittlement), so for ChipOnBoard it isn't uncommon to have two separate finish requirements.  If you can use aluminum instead of gold for the wiring, it is much easier to weld and can be welded to a wider variety of surface finishes.  ENIG can work--depends on the exact formula and application process.  But aluminum has poorer resolution than the gold.

The big question/challenge for wirebonded COB is whether to wirebond before or after SMT.  SMT is filthy, and as noted above, the wirebonds demand absolute cleanliness.  But if you wirebond first, it messes up the solder application process.  If you have a quarter inch or more of isolation between wirebonded and SMT, then using thick peelable solder mask can protect the gold through the SMT process.  But we've found that to be unreliable in tight quarters.

If you are ordering a COB assembled from another company, then creating specifications to assure that the results will be reliable is relatively easy, however all reliability is based on visual inspection combined with statistical process control.  For gold ball bonds, you specify acceptable destruct test statistics for pull tests and ball shear tests.  For aluminum or gold wedge bonds, you just specify pull test statistics.  Reading Harman will assist you in determining the most applicable statistics for your application.  IF your design also has challenges such as extreme environmental conditions or conducting heat away from the wirebonded part, then you'll also have to specify statistics for die bond line thickness and shear strength.  The equipment to do all of this destructive testing runs in the $100K range.

HOWEVER, if you want to slam some wirebonded part down on an ENIG board as a test case, and the resolution isn't challenging, that can be done quickly and cheaply with a minimal investment in equipment.  It just likely won't be reliable (although given Murphy's cruelest law, "beginner's luck", you can easily be led to believe it is).  I've even aluminum bonded parts down to bare clean copper--as I said above, aluminum bonds easily.

Good Luck,

Wayne Thayer