TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:23:09 -0600
Steve,
I would recommend against the practice because sometimes it works and
sometimes it don't.  You are not going to get as good a contact between
the pin and the hole if you have coating smeared along the pin from the
insertion process.  I looked at it one time for our processes and got
mixed results.  If you ever have to solder the pins for any reason, the
residual coating will interfere with hole fill.  Also, the way we
manufacture, the press fit connectors go on early in the process.  The
thought originally was to have conformal coating between all the pins to
better protect against moisture.  But with insertion happening early in
the process, then you had to worry about the compatiblity of the coating
with ALL of the manufacturing fluids in the subsequent processes.  I have
discussed this practice with my counterparts at companies that make really
big planes (won't say who, but rhymes with Loeing and Lairbus) and they
also feel that this creates a less than reliable mating.    Better to coat
the bottom side with multiple passes of a sprayed conformal coating or
inject after the fact.

Doug Pauls