TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:28:56 +0000
I (out of this world class; The PB, Class 3, 3/A Aerospace) do not allow any Lead-free Tin finishes and will never allow ImSn. Fresh raspberry croissants at the local Starbucks have a longer shelf life than ImSn. IMHO, if you must use them, keep them in the approved packaging (bags, etc.)with the HIC still showing acceptable and a CoC that they were dry (at or below the allowable percentage level of moisture) and solderable at time of delivery and stored in a controlled (monitored) atmosphere, until time of use. When they are pulled for use (out of package),  they should be held in a nitrogen environment until paste and reflow and or after paste and place if reflow is not immediate. A general rule is a 72 hour window prior to final reflow assembly. Any other handling/baking is like playing Wisconsin/Minnesota roulette (all the chambers are full, they don't want any loose lead rounds falling into the ice holes and endangering the fish).
Dewey