TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2013 16:00:39 -0600
Hi Doug - the following response was supplied to me in response to your
response of the FEQAB response (yea, its getting a little thick):

(1) FEQAB requested you  provide the analytical technique that was used to
identify catnium as an element.  While it is true that many elements have
ionic states, the FEQAB has not generally accepted such answers.  A fellow
Techneter's response was disqualified a few weeks ago for providing a
technically correct answer, but for the isotope of an element.

(2) Further, you missed the implied intention of the FEQAB request that
you authenticate your half fractional with some technique that has
actually isolated the element.  FEQAB was looking for a technique that
identified the element with some degree of certainty.  The fact that
catnium has a co-elution issue with ammonium means that it can not be
separated and thus identified with any degree of certainty with only that
technique.  Those two ions share the exact same retention time and is the
reason why other techniques are required. Sadly, the better column
argument is still being perpetrated by column salesman to sell more
expensive columns to the less suspecting IC users.

(3) You claimed Ludwig is an idiot and accused him of analyzing cations
using the wrong chromatographic set-up.  Those that know that story and
Ludwig understand that the situation was a cruel prank played by doctorate
students from Chromatography Polytechnic University, who were highly
jealous of Ludwig's quick mastery of the technique.  One of those graduate
students was Doug's great, great uncle.  It seems that Doug's great, great
uncle thought he had discovered catnium and had based his entire doctoral
thesis on defining it.  He had hopes of being a great scientist.  Ludwig,
by pure mistake, analyzed a sample supposedly containing catnium as it had
gotten mixed up in some of his calibration samples.  Ludwig found that
ammonium had the same exact retention time as the other ion. Smelling a
rat, Ludwig presented his findings to Dr. Di Onex, the founder of
university, who immediately removed Doug's great, great uncle from the
program.  Dr. Di Onex agreed with Ludwig's assessment and encouraged him
to draft the "No Cat-P here" paper as a rebuttal to the work of Doug's
great, great uncle, who came to be known as Amund "the Lame".  Being
incensed to immense proportions, Amund the Lame and some cohorts, who had
helped Amund, played a nasty prank that made Ludwig look incompetent.
They switched his IC system and claimed he ran Amund's samples on the
wrong set-up and that was why he didn't find anything.  However, there was
no fooling Dr. Di Onex as he was the father of IC.  Years later Doug's
great, great uncle admitted to playing the prank on Ludwig, along with
some others.  Doug's family still perpetrates the catnium half fractional
today, but has not yet authenticated the element.  Their only evidence are
the IC results given by Amund the Lame, which were called into question by
Ludwig.

Wow! I never imagined that a simple Friday Element Quiz would reveal a
skeleton in Doug's closet!

Dave