TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2013 16:05:41 -0500
I was just on a conference call where we found crazing (a separation
between glass fibers and the epoxy system), in a microsection. The
fabricator stated that this had to be evaluated looking at a board
macroscopically and could not be evaluated microscopically.

Crazing is called out in IPC-A- 600 in section 2, paragraph 2.3.2 page
18, which is "Externally Observable Characteristics". In A-600 there is
picture of a microsection showing the defect but it states that a
microsection is not required.

In IPC 6012-2010 crazing is call out in 3.3.2.2, page 12, which states
(I am paraphrasing), "Crazing shall not violate greater than 50% of the
distance between adjacent conductors..." The document then refers to IPC
A 600.

What is your take on their argument that crazing should not be evaluated
microscopically as per IPC?

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator