TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
"Rueda, Ernesto" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rueda, Ernesto
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:26:18 -0800
Our boards have QFNs and voiding is part of the soldering issue.
We have a solder paste print reduction of 50% from the ground pad to
avoid component float that may result to open solder joint at pins.

We have ground pads design that have vias (11 mils diameter max.) to let
the confined gasses in-between to escape during reflow.
It depends upon how much of the required heat transfer between the
ground pad and the component.
It is with no harm to follow the vendors' recommended footprint design.
We validate our reflow profile to optimize our process.

Ernesto V. Rueda
SMT Process Engineer
Pelco by Schneider Electric
3500 Pelco Way