TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
"Wenger, George M. [Contractor]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M. [Contractor]
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:57:32 -0600
Because it is easier to call it a void than to say empty, vacant, blank, bare, clear, free unfilled, unoccupied, uninhabited.  It is an area void of solder.  Everything we've done with QFN soldering suggests that these "solder void" areas are due to a soldering issue and not a solderability issue.  You can usually take a QFN off that has terrible voiding and do a solderability test and you find it is solderable which is an indication that the "voiding" wasn't due to a solderability issue but a soldering issue.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Failure Signature & Characterization Lab LLC
609 Cokesbury Road, High Bridge, NJ 08829
(908) 638-8771 Home (732) 309-8964 Mobile
E-mail: [log in to unmask]