TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:56:53 +0000
While it does not hurt the CCA to solder in pressfit pin connectors, you will not be able to rework (remove) them later. Soldering of connectors with pressfit pins is a very permanent proposition. Removal can be done, but it is very, very difficult.
The process for pressfit connector removal is to gang-press the pins back through the board. If they are soldered in place, your only recourse may be to cut off the connector body and pull the pins out one pin at a time while the solder is in liquidus. You can't press them out because the tooling will cause the leads to heatsink, making it almost impossible to desolder.