TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:09:53 -0600
Part of the review of the a customers documents for an RFQ is any specific
process requirements or assembly conditions. Unfortunately, Supply-chain
picks suppliers and demands quotes, often without responding to requested
documents and CM Business Mgr's are often reluctant to push too hard on new
potential customers.Typically have to be bit by unspecified requirement for
voiding before it shows up on NPI checklist. There are QFN's that have no
solder under the slug and work fine. The particular application does not
push the device to the current and thermal edge.

As I have made the transition from many propitiatory/gov't spec sources to
IPC based, I may not have questioned the undefined sufficiently. I
appreciate IPC's stance, I may not have  incorporated the undefined as
successfully in my NPI evaluation and discussions with customers both
internal and external.

Joyce is correct, new packages are denser, more complex to process. Once
upon a time the package manufacturer or the OEM would expend heavy
resources on developing the requirements for new designs. The result of
specialization. core competencies, outsourcing, Lean and Mean has resulted
in tremendous price/performance increases. A CM site with heavily
engineered products could not maintain the level of support that was
available when it was a captive shop, it conformed to the Tier 1 CM model.
The model works well for defined products and processes. Big question of
who foots the bill for process development above routine NPI requirements.
If you are the elephant at the company, resources may be available. If you
are the pimple on the behind, none may be available.