TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:09:44 -0500
Hi Victor,

Conductive anodic filament (CAF) testing is a test where a specific coupon is subjected to 85% relative humidity and 85°C temperature while a bias is applied to two adjacent traces.  The resistance is measured and when there is a decade drop in resistance the sample fails. What happens is there is a conductive anodic filament that forms between the adjacent conductors which have typically 100 volt bias.

This test method is called out in IPC TM 650 2.6.26 Conductive Anodic Filament (CAF) Resistance Test: X-Y Axis.

The point is that the crazing provides a path for the formation of CAF and there is conductive moisture, from the copper plating bath, that is trapped in the space between the epoxy and the glass. This makes CAF much more likely to form.

One needs four things in order to have CAF formation. One needs a path; moisture, a bias between adjacent conductors, and ionic contamination. The moisture may be the humidity that is in the end use environment. Typically there is condensation on the circuit board with temperature fluctuations that provides extra moisture. The ionic contamination comes from the trapped plating liquid. The path is form the crazing. The bias is provided by normal functioning of the circuit board.

This is why I think that crazing should be able to be evaluated by microsectioning and not limited to visible surface defects as it is implied in IPC A 600.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator

PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.