TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:30:30 -0500
When I reworked our solder stations 10 years ago at work ,20 total, I
went with the PACE 5000's.   We had the older non-temperature controlled
variable voltage SMD units from PACE.    The 5000's do it all, solder
vac, jet, smt reflow, solder iron, solder tweeze, resist tweeze, rotary
tool, cutting, and thermal conformal coating removal, it has vacuum pic
and place as well as other accessories for doing LSI circuits, AC and DC
pulse voltages, as well as plating accessories.    They are fully
temperature controlled and programmable so that it can be pre-set and
not changed.    I don't work for PACE, I did use them in the Navy, in
the late 70's they placed the SMD units on all commands, and that is
what I recommended to PG&E when I joined them in '82.     I have used
Hakko, and numerous others but I always go back to the PACE units.
They have several MP-1 and MBT units for field use, I made up complete
ESD field kits for the techs to use in the field.

I have a PACE MP-1 for home extractor use, and a Weller temp controlled
micro-iron for SMT, and soldering.   I don't use the MP-1 for soldering
as the tips are too large for most fine stuff, but the MP-1 is AC-DC so
it goes with me when I go camping and radio playing.     I have been
looking to get my hands on a SMD unit that is being retired.    I can't
afford the 5000 for home use, they run about 8K, although I wouldn't
turn one down that was given to me.

pat goodyear PGE retired.