TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:54:38 +0800
Hello Doug

We don't actually do the insertion. We coat the PCBs, partially cure and
supply them back to the customer.

Through typical empirical efforts (ie trial and error) we determined long
ago the optimum time for sending the coated PCBs depending on the coating
itself.

For example, a particular acrylic solvent based coating must be press fit
the day after we apply the coating. The customer then ensures he does not
send them on a Thursday / Friday so we can give him time to place the
components. We apply typically 30-40um of coating as again too much coating
can cause problems.

Interestingly, for a particular material we have to partially bake in our
China facility but for the same coating we don't in the UK. This is even
though we have air conditioned coating service facilities in China. So, the
travel time, conditions of the boards stored etc does make a difference.

Doing it this way the customer saves 60-80% of his costs since the labour on
masking and de-masking is the really expensive part.

Best Regards

Lee Hitchens

Technical Director

SCH Technologies is a Division of SCH Services Limited