TECHNET Archives

December 2013

From:
Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:20:20 -0600
There are several brands out there.
Prefer the ones with more pins per inch and automated setting.

Definately cheaper than having nests made if there is product mix. faster
than arranging manual pins and less likly to be set up wrong than manual
pins. Too easy for hard pin to chip a component.

Several caveats:
A nest may provide superior support if there is enough area to touch PCB.
If there is a small range in PCB width than the bar location does not
change much.
Ran 5 inch and 10 inch wide PCB's and needed to add and remove bars to
suppport PCB. There has to be enough room that the supports don't get
jammed when the narrow PCB's are run. The wider PCB's may need more support.

Must maintain toooling. Rubber tips fall off, pins stick and fail to
support PCB or drop out of way, tips get dirty and transfer solder paste,
repostioning not done for PCB width changes. Same as the rest of the line,
don't take care of it and it will bite you.

Solder can get on the pins and transfer to the bottom side of PCB. Care in
housekeeping and awarness of any pin in paste locations are necessary.
Spent time chasing random solder balls on bottom side, learned to keep
close eye on tooling. The rubber pins that touch PCB are more difficult to
clean than the manual support pins. The bottom side had been though AOI and
x-ray. The problem can show up after the line is changed over after a test
failure. The same can happen on other types of tooling, this style had a
higher incidence of this problem.