DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dean Stadem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:15:42 -0600
They already have that. I do not remember the name of the company, but they
can take your schematic and then use an automatic router to quickly strip
away the unwanted copper from a double-sided copper clad PWB. The router is
very precise, repeatable to within a couple of microns. Not ALL of the
unused copper needs to be removed, outlying planes can be left on for
balance or EMF shielding or for thermal control. Double-sided copper clad
PWBs less than .010" thick can be individually routed and then laminated
with .010" FR-4 blanks in between to provide a multi-layer PWB. After
lamination they drill and plate through to get the interconnects. It is
great for quick fabrication of prototype PWBs for test purposes. Especially
for ultra-high frequency applications, because the routing process leaves
perfectly smooth sides to the traces, and the conductor spacing can be as
small as .002". The key is that the spacing is exactly .002" everywhere, as
the routing process is much more controllable than a chemical etching
process. The variation in trace width and conductor spacing is much less
than chemically etched copper. I saw the system in action last year at APEX,
and the year before also, so this capability has been around for some time.