TECHNET Archives

November 2013

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:04:08 +0000
It depends on the AOI machine. There is certainly a very wide range in capabilities.
Some machines can be used to inspect even the color differential in the solder mask (and why not, Zhao? It adds nearly three seconds to the overall PWB inspection time to look at 15 different locations). Nearly all machines can inspect the copper on each layer prior to stackup. AOI is particularly good at checking ref des ink, polarity markings, etc. If you have a good algorithm machine, you can use it to verify all of the artwork.
Certain machines (MVP comes to mind) can even inspect for proper hole size to within +- .001", and can verify dimensional features to within the +- .003" from datum reference point. Missing mouse bites are certainly within the capability. I am currently using an MVP AOI machine to check the presence of connector pins that need to be within +-.001" from both a local reference point, and from other connector pins. We have a machine that can focus on the very end of the pin, as if it were a 00105 component.
I encourage you to talk to MVP. I am a very happy customer.
dean