TECHNET Archives

November 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:42:38 +0000
Returning to your original question
"But really, will Naphtha harm the Gold?"
There maybe a difference between British and American English, but to
nascent ancients like me naphtha is an old generic term for a petroleum
based solvent mix. A solvent won't harm gold.
If you just got greasy soils it will probably remove them OK, as will wood
alcohol (outside USA methylated spirits), IPA, nail varnish cleaner, and
other domestic so forths. Myself I use carburettor cleaner for things like
this.
You probably need to make sure you don't get any of this stuff on varnished
surfaces. Gold does not oxidise or tarnish so if gold is dull you might be
able to polish it using a cotton handkerchief or cartridge/drawing paper. If
not then probably what you are looking at is show through of underlying
metal. Try this in an inconspicuous area first is the usual caution.

Mike