TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2013 23:12:34 +0200
I'm afraid it's not a space plane but just a plan.
Actually, there is something I always wonder about. Go back to Neil
Amstrong and that time...Apollo, for instance. The computers at that time
were simple, compared to today's machines. I know, because I passed a glass
box every day before I entered the clean rooms. In that box was Apollo's
main computer, which we built. Lot's of transistors, most TO-18 and TO-5.
Specked with 2N1893, 2121, 2902, which were very popular. Back to the
path.....as I said, very simple stuff. The main functions were 'small
push/pull rockets and main rockets, as long as the service module and the
astronaut capsule were together. And communication radios. And sensors of
various nature...but in alles rather uncomplicated electronics. My
question: The central station in Houston was a large room with lots and
lots of work stations. A hundred persons "worked" there, all with their
noses close to the many large computer displays.Why was it necessary with
 such many work stations?

Inge