TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:32:34 +0000
Hi Gerald-

The ESS sounds like it means "Environmental Stress Screen".  While everyone does these, coming up with good Physics of Failure based criterion for these tests usually is not available.

HAST, or Highly Accelerated Stress Test, if properly designed, could potentially answer this question of field reliability.  But the sample size required and minimum time for the test may be outside of what your delivery requirements are.

I don't think you will find anyone on Technet suggesting that shipping assemblies with known cracked joints is a good idea if you want a positive outcome!

So this is a tragic event, and it is caused by uneducated purchasing agents not putting pressure on suppliers to offer SMT-ready parts.  This is common with ceramic packages which have wirebonds inside the package:  Industry wants about 35 microinches of gold for good wirebonding, and this works out to be way too much for LCC mounting.  The parts may have been eligible for a masking process to limit the gold on the solder contacts, or, as suggested by the manufacturer, they could have been solder-dipped and cleaned prior to selling.  But if there are two vendors out there, one with SMT-ready parts and one with these standard thick gold deposits, there will be a dramatic difference in price, so the purchasing agent always goes with the cheaper part.  Later, everyone realizes that removing the gold is ridiculously expensive, as you recently have.

IF IPC could define a component class which is "SMT ready", kind of like that "ROHS" designation, that would be a good thing!

Wayne Thayer