TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:52:14 +0200
I believe this is a polyurethane. Some PUs have a tendency to revert to
lower molecular weights on exposure, especially prolonged, to high
humidity at elevated temperatures. This depolymerisation may result in
the PU softening and I could well imagine that the wire could "push"
through the insulation if the Xfo is wound with a high wire tension,
keeping it under stress.

Alternatively, remembering that the beauty of a PU insulation is that
the insulation will retreat when the wire is dipped in molten solder. As
your Xfo is a SMT device, it is obviously subjected to soldering
temperatures during reflow. Is the body of the device protected from the
reflow conditions by some form of insulation?

Hope this gives you a clue

Brian