TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2013 00:16:15 -0400
In my humble opinion and 30+ years of inspecting boards, nothing beats
the eye.    A well trained eye can catch defects quickly,  the BGA is
another anima, for that X-ray is the ticket.    I have found over the
years that 60/40 or 63/37 are much easier to detect then is the lead
free, most likely since I have more experience with the leaded variety.
I find using 2-5X for a cursory view and then follow up with a 40x view
when a defect is suspected.    I have taught several technicians at work
what to look for.

A lot says for the thin black line.

pat