TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Grossmann, Günter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Grossmann, Günter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 07:42:57 +0000
Patric

In this case, where the surface already came into contact with solder and dewetted an IMC has formed or was already present. Such a surface can never be soldered. In the best case you are able to cover the surface with solder because there are most probably islands of solder left on the IMC and with hand- soldering you might convince a drop of solder to adhere on the surface but this is never a solder joint.
I believe in this case the HASL was very thin and the PCB has been stored for some months at room temperature or a shorter time at higher temperature (some hours at 80°C in a container during transport) to allow the IMC to grow through the plating.

Best regards

Günter

.