TECHNET Archives

October 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:15:57 -0400
Bob & Roger:

McMaster-Carr no longer seems to carry the adhesive. Did a bit of Googling and found the following

http://www.loctitehf.com/assets/tds/770-EN.pdf

https://www.dymax.com/blog/?p=461

http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesives-for-teflon.htm

This one is most informative
http://catalog.fluoropolymerproducts.com/viewitems/bondable-teflon-and-ptfe/bondable-teflon-and-ptfe-2

"PTFE can be etched with a sodium ammonia or sodium naphthalene etch so that its surface is chemically modified for adhesion to various substrates using ordinary commercial grade epoxies. When etched for bonding, PTFE can be used as chute liners, vessel linings, and glued to processing surfaces to make a non-stick, low coefficient of friction unit. It is important to use the correct temperature epoxy. The epoxy's heat resistance must be matched to the application environment. If low temperature epoxy is used in a high temperature application, the epoxy will fail and the PTFE will separate from the substrate. Fluoro-Plastics is one of the few companies in the United States which actually stocks bondable PTFE sheets and rolls in standard thicknesses. Also, Fluoro-Plastics offers etching services on all thicknesses of PTFE. In addition, if you have an application which requires bonding PTFE to a substrate, Fluoro-Plastics has the technical know-how to do the bonding for you. Fluoro-Plastics has successfully bonded 1/16th inch PTFE to steel support rails for use in a steel pickling operation, where the processed steel was bathed in a light sulphuric acid bath to modify its surface; bonding PTFE to the processing rails eliminated damage to the processed steel products and speeded production."

This next one is more specific to your application
http://www.rogerscorp.com/documents/638/acm/Bonding-PTFE-Materials-for-Microwave-Stripline-Packages-and-Other-Multilayer-Circuits.pdf

Let us know what you find works best as it appears that I need to find a new source of teflon adhesive myself.

Bob