DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Theodore J Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:18:07 +0000
Pete,

See my comments below

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: DesignerCouncil [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [DC] Delamination - how often?

How often do you see delam?

Ted (Define what you are calling delamination. I have seen it twice where the laminate materials actually separated, making it look like a water damaged book. I have seen more blistering than delamination but that’s different than delamination.)

If your CMs buy boards, do they accept total financial responsibility if assemblies are delaminated?

Ted (Yes, our Contract Manufacturers are responsible for the quality of the materials they are buying. If the boards are defective it is up to them to resolve the problem and make it right. For the most part, they are responsible for qualifying the bare board supplier. The only time this would not happen is if we define who the board supplier is and that supplier is not a preferred/approved bare board supplier of the Contract Manufacturer we are using for final assembly.)

If not, what do you do to protect yourself from financial loss when boards go bad?

Ted (Just like with any supplier you contain the problem, identify the root cause, implement countermeasures and verify the countermeasures were effective.  As for the financial loss you need to negotiate that with the board supplier. Ideally this should have been negotiated or was part of the awarding process up front. Check with your sourcing group or the person who signed the contract to find out what was agreed on.)

2 failures in 20+ years is a pretty good track record, I don't want to change our way of doing things.  But right now, my boss wants a plan for either no errors, or a way to shift liability.

Pete

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL) For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext.2815