TECHNET Archives

September 2013

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:12:53 -0400
Thanks Phil,

  I have already had offers for part time for the for seeable future,
doing special projects.    I think I can handle 30 hours or less per
week until after the first of the year, then they already have me
scheduled starting in January at 6 days a week 12 hours a day for about
3 months, on nights, after that we'll see, one unit has overhaul and
refuel.   Then next fall we have the other unit, which will be another 3
months.

One of the unique aspects of my profession one must be highly qualified
and proficient at each task we perform and due to my length of time I
have a very large list of qualifications, and this past month I
refreshed my proficiencies.     One of which was passing my miniature
soldering and board repair quals.   I have the necessary training quals
to train and test in those areas of which I am qualified.    So with our
diminishing workforce of experienced personel they have asked that those
of us that can, to come back and train our replacements.     Starting
with a basic trained tech it takes upwards of 5 years to fully train a
new one at the first level, 8 years for an apprentice.  Not blowing my
horn, just the reality of the situation.    We hired 7 tech's 9 years
ago and they just have completed the first round of quals, not many of
their advanced quals yet.
I was 20th on a list of 26 technicians, all of those senior to me have
indicated their desire to retire by 2015, I had over 31 years, the
junior tech has 29 years and is 2 years from minimum retirement age.

pat