TECHNET Archives

August 2013

From:
Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:50:18 -0400
Richard,

As Joyce already pointed out, air, more specifically oxygen, will
terminate the polymerization of the free radical monomer.  Those familiar
with Parylene have likely experienced a vacuum leak at some location in
the chamber.  The Parylene near the point of the leak, depending on the
severity of the leak, may be opaque, cloudy, or white.

If the substrate outgasses, then there will be a competing effect between
molecules leaving the substrate's surface and the monomer molecules trying
to deposit on the surface.  I have not seen any areas completely void of
Parylene, but the area of outgassing may be thinner than other areas that
do not outgas.  At some point, the rate of outgassing decreases and is
overcome by the Parylene deposition, which further seals the surface and
further slows the outgassing from the substrate.

I have not experienced anything 'poisoning' the polymerization process.
For the polymerization to not occur, something would have to react with
all the CH2's to prevent the Parylene from growing.
As Doug stated, contaminants usually impact adhesion.

Lamar Young
Specialty Coating Systems, Inc.
7645 Woodland Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46278