TECHNET Archives

August 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:54:42 +0000
Those put out a LOT of smoke and the sensors are quite sensitive.  Unless I could release it into a very large volume, it would likely rail the sensor.  Plus how do I control it?  Seal it in the environment and set it off with a fuze?  That is, in effect, what I'm looking for, but several orders of magnitude less smoke.

For example, frying a nylon coated 41G copper wire 1" long inside of a 5 gallon bucket overwhelmed the sensor!

They sell a liquid smoke generator for the toy train market.  That looks like a reasonable idea--maybe it's just propylene glycol as Phil Bavaro suggested.  But I need some kind of crucible to heat that up in.  If anyone knows of a micro crucible with attached heater, which isn't expensive, that would probably do it.

Wayne