TECHNET Archives

August 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:47:28 -0400
Ben,

Until lead was banned, you could depend on electronics to last a great deal longer than the warranty period, more so as semiconductor reliability and assembly technology greatly improved. It's truly been a remarkable evolution that the EU has throughly trashed, IMHO.

I don't know of any user who will be happy to discover that there's going to be tin whiskers silently growing in their purchases, that we have no idea when they will sprout, if their eruption will spell the demise of their purchases or heal spontaneously to fail again randomly in the future. If it happens in an automobile or airplane, the word "warranty" will likely get a serious test in court. I, for one, hope that day comes sooner than later.

Bob