TECHNET Archives

August 2013

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:25:53 +0000
Something like that happened to me in Vo-Tech school when I was about 17. My instructor and I were both squatting behind an old Setchell Carlson color TV. I had the high voltage probe, and he had the foot on top of the AC line that ran under a metal cover screwed to the floor. When my knee touched his, the 20,000V shock caused both of us to jump up and backwards, clear over a 36" high double workbench with a 50" high center partition. We both landed on our backs on the other side of the workbench. Luckily we were not hurt. I still can't figure out how we survived that jump without any broken bones or permanent spinal crackers.
Neither of us could have ever jumped backwards that high and that far if we were simply trying to win the Olympics, but a 20,000 volt encouragement will spring any muscles that are currently tensed much faster and harder than can be done without.
And this happened just one day after watching the government-sponsored safety movie entitled "Curiosity Killed the Cat" which was about the effects on a cat from drinking out of a 100 VDC-charged metal milk bowl versus a 100 VAC-charged metal milk bowl. Anybody else ever see that one? I am sure it is banned now; there was no PETA in those days.