TECHNET Archives

August 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:24:02 -0400
James,

Great story!  And what fun!!

Did you discover (the hard way of course) that CRTs can have a residual charge after you discharge them by jumper wire?

My company has a product that still uses b/w CRTs. We custom modify them so have to take them apart. When reassembling we re-ground the anode terminal to the ground band (which is making the electrical connection to the conductive outer coating of the glass envelope.

I don't have a scientific explanation as to why there can be a charge left.   You'd think the arc created when you initially discharged the tube would dissipate the energy.

This is a perfect question for my former physics professor and renowned tin whiskers expert Henning Leidecker at NASA Goddard SFC so I'm cc'ing him :-))

Bob

Sent from my iPhone