TECHNET Archives

July 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:47:10 +0100
As a general rule, alloys containing more than 50% bismuth will expand on
freezing true, some times by not very much. High Bi alloys can have other
characteristics as well such as poor ductility/malleability (that is stiff
and rigid alloys), and so on. The combination of properties will determine
properties overall. Pad lift, fillet lift, hot tearing and so on have
occurred with a number of lead free alloys not just those containing Bi.

Best Wishes

Mike