TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:35:56 +0100
By now you will have been inundated with off line answers.

Just to address your RoHS query.
RoHS banned specific, complex halides (the type used in fire retardants),
but not all halides. This spilled over into to flux technology as the simple
tests carried out in the field, detect the presence of halogens (the family
of chemical elements whose products are called halides) but can not tell how
they are combine together with other elements, i.e. what sort of halides
have the halogens been made into. We can have a reasoned rational discussion
here about this, but in the outer world everything is simplified. In this
case to: All halides bad. So the industry gave up on that and avoided/killed
the issue by moving to halide free fluxes. Thus the quite separate halide
versus non halide flux debate we have all enjoyed for decades was decided
for halide-free by the law of unintended consequences. A rather pointless
diversion from the road to progress.

Regards

Mike