TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:59:02 +0200
Hi, genious duo,

I had an old US Army report that emphasizes a lot about irradiation of
semiconductors. Now, you have to make a distinction between cleaning
semiconductors and expose them to natural irradiation as ready  products.
UV/O2 is a outstanding method of cleaning any substrates, inclusive
semiconductor wafers of all kinds, because you get a cleanliness on
molecular level. And under controlled processes, the method does not cause
any harm to the target.

About semi packages and irradiation, I understand what Juice aim at, namely
a exposure to high energy partikels or photons or phonons at such a
intensity level that you exceed the band gap levels ,  equal to a memory
I/O status shift.  I believe modern packages and semis are radiation
hardened for critical applications like for SPACE and others. If you, of
some reason, want to clean assembled boards by means of UV/Ozone, nothing
will happen.

You can take part of the report under 'Cleaning' and the title is
'UV-Ozone Cleaning of Semiconductor Surfaces'.

Steve, you are welcome to add your antique papers to Dropbox. As I said,
most was evaluated decades ago.

Inge