TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:25:01 +0100
Titanium is used as a material of construction in PCB manufacture/assembly
equipment because it is resistant to chemical (Etchants) and metals (molten
solder). So anything exposed to solder on wave machine can be Ti. Pots, pump
impellors conveyor fingers etc. I would be surprised if there was any
significant Ti in solder from metallic sources such as these.

Joyce's suggestion is a good one: Inks and stuff. I don't know why you are
still using a saponifier cleaner, but they are aggressive high PH chemicals
and therefore effective paint/coating/ink strippers, possibly also your
laminate. You say you have cleaning issues which supports that case.
On my list of things to eliminate I would place PCBs as supplied and
controls on cleaning machine/process high on the list and metallic Ti as
source somewhat lower.

Best Wishes

Mike-----Original Message-----