TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:32:27 -0500
The Hipot testers used on our ATE have internal GFI detection, which is implemented by measuring the source HV current and the return current on the ground lead. When the UUT is also connected to another ground during testing, some of the return current will flow through system ground and return to the Hipot unit via AC ground and not return ground. This causes the unit to display a GFI fault. Isolating the device being tested from any other grounds besides the Hipot return ground corrects this problem and allows the GFI protection to work properly.

This is designed to protect any human operators that may have come in contact with the HV test voltage and are connect to a ground. This is similar to an AC GFI protection device where the AC hot current and the AC neutral current must be balanced (equal) or the device will trip.

Note that GFI protection will never protect someone getting across hot and neutral or the Hipot source and return.

Blair