TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:11:55 -0700
The *breakdown potential gradient* or *dielectric strength* (units: MV/m)
is the electrical potential gradient at which an insulator breaks down and
a damaging surge of current like a lightning strike flows through it.  It
is measured by increasing, at a uniform rate, a 60 Hz alternating potential
applied across the faces of a disk of the material in the capacitor-like
configuration of Figure 1 until breakdown occurs, typically at a potential
gradient of between 1 and 100 MV/m.  The breakdown potential gradient is a
characteristic property of a dielectric (see *Dielectric constant
(permittivity)<http://inventor.grantadesign.com/en/notes/science/material/S14%20Dielectric%20properties.htm>
*).

Inge