TECHNET Archives

June 2013

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:18:58 +0000
Whenever I need to rework epoxy from a component location, I specify in the process that not all of the old epoxy needs to be removed, just enough to be able to replace the part. There is no sense in scraping down to the solder mask. A small amount of old epoxy residue can be left. Underfilling can still take place after the part has been replaced.

And the most wonderful tool for removing epoxy is the Detail Master Excalibur. http://www.detailmasteronline.com.  Our operators love them. Yes, it is a woodburning tool, so what?

They have about a thousand different tips that can be used. http://www.detailmasteronline.com/pen_tips.html. (Ok, maybe not a thousand, but a huge selection).The tips are razor sharp and that combined with the hot tip allows them to slice through even the toughest, hardest epoxies and underfills like they are butter. Detail Master has rounded tips, and these work well because they do not damage the soldermask as easily. We use them for removing Loctite, Zymet, Uralane, coating, etc. You can literally "shave" epoxy away without using any slicing motions, and this greatly reduces the chance of solder mask or substrate damage. And they even pass our ESD testing!

 I do not allow solder irons to be used for this function, because eventually they will be used to solder and I don't want burnt epoxy in the solder joints.

We also tried an ultrasonic knife, but that is so dangerous because if you even so much as slightly nick the solder mask with it, it leaves a big hole in the mask. However, they have their place in certain rework operations also.

It's good to be a detail-oriented engineer, so there's your Tip of the Day from the Detail Master, heh, heh.   :-)