TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 10:03:16 -0300
Hi Doug
No keep-out areas is a bit difficult, the board presumably has to
connect to something, but what I have asked for (but not gotten) is that
connectors have clear areas around them so that the measurement
tolerance on the coated area can be high, and that the connectors be
easily masked - preferably something we could put a rubber boot on, next
best is easily taped to cover pins and mating area, worst are open body
connectors.

Component height restrictions will depend on how versitile your coating
machine is - the one I had was a 4.5 axis machine (x-y-z, theta, and
nozzle tilt) and so for us height issues were a programming problem -
not so much a running problem.

I would also add to the wish list a coating material that is agreeable
with an automated process.  At a previous employer we had a high volume
product that was coated - so an automatic candidate for automated
spraying.  But the customer specified a coating material that had a 4
hour pot life, after which we had to flush the machine with toluene or
it would seize up and need a full overhaul.  With an in-house project
I'm sure you have more control over that factor.

regards,

Graham Collins
Senior Process Engineer
Sunsel Systems