TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Victor Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2013 09:38:16 -0500
Is the LF solder?

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Upton, Shawn
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Solder Wetting, through hole, supporting side

On the supporting side of a thro-hole part, it says minimum of 180 degrees of wetting for Class 2, and 270 for class 3; but, is that relative to the pad being sized appropriately?  Or does it not matter?  I have a thick copper bar that is being soldered, and the pad itself has a large soldering region (of course with no thermal reliefs); and I'm being asked "why doesn't the solder cover the pad?"  Wetting is 360 on the solder side.  Vertical fill is good.  It just the supporting side which looks meager on wetting, but I'm not sure how to read the photo, nor if it is impacted by obtuse pad design.

I suspect this is perfectly acceptable, and that I just need to state that 360 degree wetting is required on the supporting side (with photos); I just want to make sure I'm correct in stating that, yes, the boards are properly assembled to class 2 levels, and that we did not specify something that we wanted.

Thanks.

I suspect the photo below won't make it...

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, LLC