TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 22:19:49 +0200
Of course it does. Like painting your house. You are pleased whole day
until sunset, then you say 'what the &%¤ ' what's going on. You have got
water molecules on the wall. All know. The comparison is not quite logical,
but points at the fact that even very small amounts of contaminations can
have a crucial impact in the INTERFACE.  I'm not a chemist, others can
describe the exchange of atoms and the importance of presence of zinc or
lead or whatever.   I thought that the various platings were homogenous
i.e. the nickel layer is all nickel, the gold is all gold etc. until I read
Safranec's books. Now I know that the final finish contains all sorts of
metal atoms and organics from base to top. You can identify metal atoms
from the copper all the the way and in all directions. This has a
considerable impact on the bands of crystal buildup. A demo of TOFSIMS on
some crossections gave me new eyes even if I did not understand half of the
metallurgy behind. Key words were crystal structure,  banded or lamellar
growth, band thickness, intergrain 'cementing' adds, organic and inorganic
contaminations.  Wassink has far from the knowhow you need. I have two
similar books, if you give me your adress I can send one to you. I do not
need twins. 600 pages on deep level (not high level, because we speak baths)

Inge

PS. Another must-have book is 'TheCanning Handbook' all about surface
finishes. !,100 pages.