TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gumpert, Ben
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 15:31:21 +0000
Technetters,

It looks like from the archives that we all agree that removing the gold from solder cups is necessary to get a good joint. So that leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have some recommendations on a good method to ensure adequate gold removal, especially on really small cups? Is adding solder and then removing it with a solder wick the standard method?

2. What does a double-tinning method really mean (i.e. what do I need to do to meet the requirement of J-STD-001E Para. 4.5.1?)

A single tinning process would be to fill the cup with solder wire and then reflow that solder to 'tin' the cup, followed by the installation of a wire. So does a double tinning just mean that the solder is removed ONCE and the cup tinned a second time with the solder that will be used to create the final joint? I have had some people tell me that the solder had to be removed TWICE to be considered 'double-tinning'. (Of course the main goal should be to get rid of the gold and the process should be based on achieving that goal, but that may be a different discussion.)

Ben