TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 15:14:53 +0000
First you need a book on overall system reliability theory.  Then you need detailed understanding of the failure modes applicable to the product.  I think IPC has a document describing reliable design practices, and you may want to check IPC-9151D.

Validation of reliability is what many of us on the forum get hung up on.  A very difficult problem.  Seek out books on the design of Highly Accelerated Stress Testing (HAST).  These books will assume the basic reliability theory knowledge and detailed failure mode knowledge I mention above.

Sorry to not be very specific, but if you start searching on IPC and the internet with these terms, you will find a bunch of candidates.

Wayne Thayer